Monday, 23 June 2014

New clothes

It has taken me the better part of an hour to get in to my blog. I switched to Chrome and my world (which was previously calm and Yahoo based) has gone all Googly and I am too tired to keep up. I only wanted to get in to give a bit of a 'how is the sewing going?' update. Anyway, I am in and signed up with the right email address and everything.

Sewing has been great. So far, my wardrobe has benefited from a jacket, two new pairs of trousers (both a success) and two new tops (one more successful than the other). I also undertook some remodelling of a dress and now have a much more flattering summer skirt. Ooooh, and I mustn't forget the pajama bottoms and jeans that got a new look as cropped skinnies and from the left over trouser legs, I made a pair of dungaree sort of things for LOD. These have been rejected due to being too blue. The girls seem to have come off rather well from my new found enthusiasm and some monster costumes and a skirt for LOD have proved popular.

Should I admit though that to fuel my shopping needs, I have bought a lot of new shoes. They aren't clothes, they don't count .

Recycling:
So, below is a pic of my old sun dress which once upon a time fitted and looked OK. Nowadays though, after two rounds of breastfeeding and a wine / cake expanding waistline, the style is not conducive to body shape. So, a little scissor action and we have the top as a new skirt for LOD (ruffle added to cover bottom more fully) and a skirt for me. LOD adores the skirt and I must now make a similar one for EEROD.




 While on holiday earlier this year, my finest Primani jeans spent some quality time in a tumble dryer. Jeans and tumble dryers do not get on. The jeans ended up proper ankle-flappers. Chopped them off at the knee to make some pedal-pusher pants for me and the cut off leg bits got turned into this. The 'braces' I added as I am truly incapable of not adding something a bit different. Like I said before, these are not popular. Too blue and they 'keep going up my bottom mummy'. Hmmm, a good idea not well executed.




New stuff:
Pink pajama bottoms and new trousers on show for this one. I have plans to do a Gok Wan type thing and hang all the new stuff up outside and take an arty shot of it all but I haven't got round to that yet so here's a sample.....
 

I have to be honest and say that working with knit fabric (pajamas) and an overlocker was harder than I thought. All sorts of problems getting the thread tension right and as a result, the seams are pulling so I will have to work on getting the 4 thread tension right. Have just realised that the pic on the left is me in new trousers and one of the new tops (the more successful one). I felt smug that day.

The monsters:
I loved making these from Primani kids onesies and fluffy pink fabric. They don't look at all scary and when LOD teamed hers with some fetching plastic dress-up high heels, she went into the party looking a little like something from 'My Big Fat Gypsy kids party'. The downside to working with fluffy fabric is the dining room, my machines and I all got a light dusting of fluffy pinkness whenever I cut the fabric.

 

 In other news:

  • Planning permission has been granted which means the final (I hope) phase of remodelling Chez O'D can begin. 
  • This year's veg has been a mixed bag. Lettuce is awesome. Strawbs have been OK, Courgettes coming along nicely but peas are a disaster, beans are slower than usual and the tomatoes are just not really doing anything. We have two baby apple trees coming along and once again, we have killed the herbs. Even the mint. No one kills mint.
  • I am taking a week off work to do a pattern-cutting course which I cannot wait for. 
  • Work is mental, girls are lovely, I need sleep
  • I realise I make nothing new really for Erin. Must crack on with those princess outfits.......
  • I also have not cooked anything new or exciting in a while. All creative energy seems focused on sewing.












No comments:

Post a Comment