Marinated Prawns
This is my mum's recipe which she got from my aunt so technically, it's a family recipe, handed down through generation. It is absolutely yummy but does annoyingly leave lots of coconut milk hanging about so best made in the same week you are doing other Thai inspired meals I think. Possibly this one which I love. Add chicken to the broth and make a green curry. We make this often.
Ingredients:
40ml fish sauce
125ml lemon juice
35 ml sweet chilli dipping sauce
45ml honey
1 tsp crushed garlic
2cm knob of ginger - grated
handful of chopped coriander
50g butter
100ml coconut milk
20 ml oil
1kg extra large prawns (mum's recipe says cooked but I think this would work better with them raw, shelled and deveined)
Basmati rice and peas to serve
Prep time 1hr 15mins
Cooking time as long as it takes to cook the rice - actually about half the time it takes to cook basmati rice. Basically, stick the rice on and get cracking.
Method:
Mix fish sauce, chilli, lemon juice, sweet chilli sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and about half the coriander in a bowl. Add the prawns and leave to marinade for 45 mins.
Drain, retaining the marinade
Heat the oil in a pan and flash fry the prawns until pink and cooked (or until heated if using cooked ones). Add the butter and remaining marinade. Mix well and allow butter to melt. Turn down to a gentle heat and add the coconut milk. Ensure piping hot and serve on a bed of basmati rice with lots of lovely peas. Garnish with the rest of the coriander.
![]() |
| Prawns, marinading away |
In other news:
- More sewing info to come soon. I have been busy making trousers.
- LOD has settled well into 'big school'. Like her nerdish parents, she diligently does her homework every day (they get homework every day aged 4!) and reading and writing are coming along well. The breakfast club ladies today asked me if she was as good at home as she is apparently angelic at breakfast club. She is.
- EEROD is cute. She talks as much as LOD and is hilarious. My new favourite EEROD word is PITTOPOTOPUS (hippo....) and we are mega into dolls and babies
- COD and I continue to work too hard and too much. Work for me is stressful at the moment but as with everything, this too will pass. Or, I will give it all up and open a lovely shop selling stuff. My shop will be called 'RODstuff'.
- Sadly winter is coming and we packed the garden up last weekend. All-in-all, it was an OK year although we had a (late) bumper crop of tomatoes which were awesome.
- We are still no further with the house renovations although I spend a large amount of time on Houzz which if you haven't discovered is a really great way to snoop into other people's homes.
- In case you were wondering, my top 5 veggies are: peas, green beans, asparagus, courgette, brussel sprouts (the roaming seasonal 5th). I like green veg.

I like peas too :) My top 3 veggies are peas, mushrooms and cougettes!
ReplyDelete