Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Hmm, not all JO

Well, it has been a while since I was on here but then having a baby does keep one quite busy. Having a baby who doesn't sleep between 7-10pm means that cooking has all but gone out of the window..... anyway, I have managed a few new things so here goes:

I-can't-remember-which-chef's chicken and mushroom dish thing....
or Bill Grainger's Coq au Vin

This dish was delish. We often do baked chicken thighs but this added a new twist and was really scrummy. I used regular mushrooms as that's all I ever buy but they worked fine and as the local Coop doesn't sell shallots, regular onion made it's way into the dish. An awake baby meant the creme fraiche mash didn't quite make it and COD was asked to make regular mash instead.

Oh, and we had beans with it....

LOD's pink and white striped practice birthday cakes

Inspired by Lorraine's crouching tiger, hidden zebra cake, I embarked on making pink and white striped cupcakes in a practice for LOD's birthday cake which I hope will be a doll cake with a pink and white striped skirt. Cupcakes were fantatsic although rather layered than striped due to the confines of the cases. I cannot recommend the recipe highly enough and from now on all sponge will be made using this recipe. Oh and I had fun decorating!!!!


In other news:
  • EEROD is 7 weeks old and eating like a horse. Tonight is the first time she has gone to sleep at 7ish and stayed asleep for longer than an hour. I am not holding my breath....
  • LOD is off to hospital tomorrow to see the ENT specialist. Full of snot again and it's now time for some proper action
  • Had the first of the homegrown tomatoes for dinner tonight and they are good. I need to put the garden to bed this week and next year, make a proper effort  to grown some stuff (saying that we may redo the garden and that may be an issue.....). Also, I found 2 sneaky gems and they were gooood. A third is still on the plant.
  • I had forgotten how much washing a baby creates
Time to reopen the JO book and get cracking on some more 30 minute meals. My mum asked if I wanted the 15 min meal book but I think I enjoy cooking too much to only spend 15 mins  cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment