Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Spinach and feta filo (but not filo) pie

Well, it had to happen eventually. The JO spinach and feta filo pie was not the most successful bit of cooking I have ever done. Firstly, I couldn't get filo pastry (forgot to check the freezer section....) so decided to use puff pastry instead - how wrong can it go? Secondly, the only oven-proof frying pan we have is a bit bigger than the one in the recipe. As a seasoned cook, I was sure these two issues wouldn't be a problem.....

Well, it was all going well. Mixed up the pie mix, spread out my (rolled thinner) puff and seasoned as per the recipe. Slid it into the frying pan on the greaseproof paper and poured in the mixture. Folded the edges in and put it on the gas. This is where the first major problem occurred. The pastry sprung a leak. Disaster as we watched 5 eggs ooze out of the pastry and into the pan and of course in and around the greaseproof paper. COD said to soldier on so into the oven it went! The second major disaster was that the pastry just didn't go crispy - even on the top...... so, what we ended up with was a dryish pie (inside) and soggy pastry with a souffle-like egg crust! It didn't taste awful but not quite the quick or easy recipe it declared itself to be!

The two salads were nice and in fact the basil dressing with the tomato salad was awesome. I also did the rolled ice-cream balls in a chocolate, hazelnut and coffee crumb. Despite following the measurements (not something I do very often), I found the crumb too bitter and next time would probably use milk chocolate for sweetness and less coffee.













In other news:
  • EEROD is 9 weeks and we had our jabs yesterday. She has put on loads of weight and growing well
  • LOD went off to nursery dressed as a Halloween fairy today. Has been invited trick or treating but I think she is far too young to be knocking on stranger's doors and asking for sweets

  • I am going back to exercise class tonight (yay for no bath / bedtime duties)
  • We have booked our first flight with both girls. Dublin City, here we come.....


No comments:

Post a Comment