Tuesday, 22 January 2013

A new year, a new challenge

Well, it's 2013 and time to rethink the cooking challenge to share with my friends and family. Before we embark on deciding this year's challenge, there are a few cooking successes to be shared....

The Christmas Star Tree

I found the cutters for this and the idea from the lovely Lakeland. I am not usually allowed in Lakeland as its a bit like IKEA - I come out with stuff I didn't even know I needed. Anyway, I figured this would make a good baking project with LOD on a rainy day over Christmas. I was right. Essentially just a butter biscuit recipe and some clever cutting and stacking. It tasted good, looked good and I think I will do it again next year!



The doll birthday cake

I have been waiting months to do this cake and finally LOD's 3rd birthday arrived and using her Barbie Christmas present, the doll cake came to life. I forgot to photograph the inside of the cake but it was a lovely pink and white stripey sponge as per crouching tiger hidden zebra format. As usual, the sponge was fantastic and as far as I am concerned, the only sponge recipe you will ever need. Also, I used butter icing (Good Housekeeping recipe) rather than fondant icing because it's nicer.



Tray bake chicken with squashed potatoes

Yet another JO 30 min meal success. Came in under the 30 mins although I didn't do the drink. I didn't have the tomatoes on the vine so chopped up some regular ones - worked fine. Also, although outside LOD's nursery there is a giant rosemary bush, I forgot to get it fresh and just used dried and again, worked just fine.


In other news:
  • EEROD is coming up to 5 months already. No signs of being able to roll over yet but seems happy enough. Not sleeping through the night so I am a bit of a zombie but we have started solids so we shall see how that goes....
  • LOD is loving the snow and we have daily snowball fights!
  • LOD has started ballet which has been a huge hit. She loves it!
  • I have decided 2013's cooking challenge will be one new thing a month and also a dinner party menu for each month from past cooking trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment