Tuesday, 4 December 2012

No time to cook

How has over a month gone by without me doing any kind of exciting cooking? Anyway, to make up for the lack of blogging, I have two new things to share...

Nigella Berry's chocolate meringue roulade

Every few months, a number of us folk living in our street get together for dinner. We rotate through each other's houses and whoever is hosting does the main and starters and puds are shared out amongst others. So, last Saturday I was put in charge of pudding. Since I have an absurd number of eggwhites in the freezer (too much JO courgette carbonara), I decided on a meringue theme. I was also given Marry Berry's Baking Bible for my birthday and so happened upon her meringue roulade recipe. This seemed a good challenge although a little dull. COD had requested Nigella's chocolate and raspberry pavlova so I decided to combine the two. So was invented Nigella Berry's chocolate and strawberry roulade. It was a huge success and is light, fluffy and just right for a pud. I teemed this with an espresso cup of chocolate mousse (alla JO 30 min meals) which also went down a treat.













 JO mustard chicken with dauphinoise potatoes

Another success although a crying child, a hungry mother and a late hour made this feel a bit more difficult than usual. Once again I used every dish in the kitchen and didn't do the dessert but it was done in about 30 mins and was good. Next time the potatoes need longer in the oven (bye-bye 30 minutes) and I would do something more interesting than cabbage as the greens - JO says swiss chard but that would require a shopping trip beyond the end of the road!


In other news:
  • EEROD is 3 months - where has the time gone?
  • LOD is loving cooking. Here she is cooking dinner with COD

  • I still have a fair ways to go to be 'Christmas ready'
  • It is veeeeery cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment