It's 8.30pm on a Tuesday and for a second night in a row I am stuck in a committee meeting listening to arguments over boundaries drawn on a map. This is clearly engaging me as I have decided to take the time until I present my paper to have a good crack at another blog post.
This is not a get home and dinner is on the table in 20 mins recipe but rather one that takes about 30 mins in total but does involve and hour of oven time in the middle. Oooh, the politicians are getting heated here.........
OK, so this recipe take a bit of what I like to call prethinking. Prethinking is something that (in my opinion) men are utterly useless at. Some examples:
- Dinner comes round and there is astonishment on part of male that there is nothing in the fridge. Prethinking would have meant that the concept of what to eat for dinner would have happened earlier in the day and some action taken to ensure there was something in the fridge would have taken place
- There is no margarine to spread on toast in the morning. Prethinking would have meant that the message re lack of marg would have been relayed to purchaser of groceries and problem adequately dealt with
- Family members birthday rolls around with no card or pressie. Prethinking would have meant that this occasion had been recalled with enough time to purchase card and or pressie and get to family member.
I realise I am being rude and am generalising but I think generally women seem to prethink a lot more. So, if you do decide to embark on sticky chicken thighs, I suggest the following thought processes are put into place - Do I have at least 1 hours cooking time? Do I have the required ingredients? If the answers to these are yes, then, press on!
Sticky baked chicken thighs
Ingredients
Chicken on the bone. Suggest 1x breast per person or 2 x thigh.
Honey
Soya sauce
Mixed herbs
Black pepper
Basmati rice
Green veg (you choose)
Method
Turn your oven to 180 degrees. Put your chicken pieces in an oven proof dish skin-side up. Drizzle over some honey and splash on some soya sauce. Sprinkle on some mixed herbs and season well with pepper.
Pop the chicken into the oven and allow to bake for 45 mins - 1 hour depending on the size of your chicken pieces (bigger = longer).
20 mins before the end of the baking time, prep the rice and veg and cook according to your preference. If, like me, you like some gravy on your chicken and rice, remove the chicken from the dish and depending on whether you used a baking tray (ignore change of dish step) or a ceramic baking dish, transfer the yummy juices from under the chicken to a pot or baking tray and pop on the stove, add some water and then a thicken agent of your choice - bisto, cornflour paste..... And stir well until a thick sauce full of honey- chicken goodness is achieved.
Serve and enjoy!
OK, the island life bit will need to wait for the next instalment which should be out in about an hour...
OK, the island life bit will need to wait for the next instalment which should be out in about an hour...
No comments:
Post a Comment